In addition to the possibility of using IBM SPSS via remote Citrix VirtualApps access or on computers located in the University libraries, labs and computer rooms our site licence with IBM Inc. allows for free of charge “at home” installation for postgraduate students. PhD, Doctorate, Masters by Research, Masters by Coursework (undertaking research projects) and Honours students are all eligible to apply for software.
- It is important for postgraduate students and their supervisors (when endorsing their students' applications) to ensure that this additional "at home" access to the software, is requested at times of anticipated peak usage, to gain the most benefit from their access to this statistical package. Students that are, for example, early in their research candidatures and seeking to just briefly explore the software, should do so using computers at the university (library, computer labs, postgraduate rooms, etc.).
- Another change that needs to be mentioned relates to the AMOS program now being available only as a separate Graduate Pack. Consequently, a separate application form has been prepared and supervisors are asked to confirm that students will indeed need to use Structural Equation Modelling while working on their research projects.
In order to obtain an access to the software you will need to:
Upon receiving of the signed form/s, you will be provided with the web links to the online download site, or if the size of the download (up to 1GB) may be an issue, an overnight loan of USB to install the software. You will also be provided with an individualised authorisation code which will be VALID UNTIL 31ST OF JANUARY FOLLOWING YEAR. To extend the access to the software for another year, a new application would have to be submitted. Version 25 of IBM SPSS, which is also used on all university-owned computers, can be provided to the students.
If there are insufficient licenses available through the University subsidised scheme, you then may have the same options as for undergraduate students.
- The distribution of IBM SPSS for private use works in the same way as buying software independently from a retail store. Successful applicants need to take care of their own computers and install and license the software themselves following the instructions provided.
- The software can be used only for non-commercial academic research. Non-commercial academic research means research by degree-seeking students and staff where (i) the results of such research are not intended primarily for the benefit of a third party; (ii) such results are made available to anyone without restriction on use, copying or further distribution; and (iii) any copy of any such result is furnished for no more than the cost of hosting, reproduction, and shipping.
- It is advisable for the applicant to check the system requirements before applying for software.
- University statistical consultant runs various statistical workshops which utilise the IBM SPSS.
Further enquiries regarding IBM SPSS ”At home” access for postgraduate students at Flinders University should be directed to IDS support.